If it happens that you keep receiving electric shocks when you turn on the lights switch or electronic appliance in your home. Even when you live in a house with updated, grounded circuitry and you still get shocks, however, the problem may be a buildup of static electricity or it might be the earthing system in the electrical system of your home is faulty. Whenever this occurs electricity uses you as a path to ground. So, what are the main causes of electric shock in your home;
Before now, houses were wired with a two-strand electrical cable which was live and neutral wire, but electric code now require grounding in all newly installed residential circuitry, so any wiring that is done without grounding is very risky because, in this kind of wiring, even a small failure of the wire insulation can expose the resident of the house to electric shock.
It happens because the person’s body completes the electric circuit between the exposed wiring and the earth. Wearing rubber-soled slippers in the house can minimize the risk of this kind of electric shock, but a safer solution to this kind of problem is to upgrade the wiring system.
This is an undesired path that allows current to flow from hot wire to the ground, Even if you prevent this by avoiding using old appliances, especially those with loose connections, and install an approved grounded wiring, you still can get an electric shock if your body gets in contact with exposed wires or metal that is in contact with them.
This rarely happens consciously. Sometimes this is experienced when a poorly insulated appliance is handled, or one with a loose internal connection, under conditions that give electricity a path to ground through your body. If there is a leakage current in any of the outlets in the bathroom, kitchen, outdoors, and any location where wet conditions increase the risk of electric shock is high if the earthing system is faulty.
static electricity is a stationary electric charge, typically produced by friction, which causes sparks or crackling or the attraction of dust or hair, If you have carpet, it is almost very difficult to avoid static shock, particularly on dry days. The fact is the movement of your feet on the carpet creates an accumulation of static electricity and these electrons from the carpet is then move from the carpet into your body and electrically energize you.
When you get in contact with any metal surface, like a doorknob, you complete a circuit that allows the electrons to flow, and you get an electric shock. Though shocks from static electricity are normal. You can minimize their severity by frequently touching metal objects to ground yourself before the accumulation of electric charge in your body becomes too large.
If you experience frequent electrical shocks from a particular switch or power outlet, call an electrician to repair it as soon as possible. You may be receiving the shock from a loose connection or short circuit which, if not checked, may eventually electrocute someone or result in a fire outbreak.
If you get shocks from a particular appliance, have it serviced or throw it away. The use of such an appliance under the wrong conditions could be deadly. Frequent shocks in a house with old-fashioned wiring should alert you to the need to upgrade and ground your circuitry.