What is a Smart Home?
A smart home means an integration of a home with a smart system to enable automation of all Wi-Fi enable or smart appliances to automatically perform a specific task through remote control or smartphone. If your home has a smart system you can program your sprinklers, set and monitor your home security system and cameras, or control appliances like your refrigerator or air conditioning and heating using your smartphone
At electelectglobe we love how energy-efficient smart homes are, because they save you precious time and money while also conserving electricity energy enabling you to save more money
What are the benefits of a smart home?
Many individuals are looking into smart homes ideas today, but how do smart homes work?
A Smart hub system allows you to have greater control of your electrical energy usage, all while automating things like your thermostat which can automatically regulate your home temperature, turning on and off lights, opening and closing window treatments, and turning off and on of your refrigerator when appropriate, etc.
A smart hub provides insights into energy utilization that can help you become more energy-efficient and mindful of ecological factors.
A smart home system can enable you to see areas where you’re using more electric energy than you need to, allowing you to cut back in those areas and reduce your electricity bill, thus, saving some money for more important things.
And while it might sound and look like just another fad to some, the truth is “smart home system”—like telephone which the system has improved to the smartphone—is here to stay. We will keep on seeing newer improvements. And that is the same thing that will happen to the smart home system.
Research by marketsandmarkets shows that in 2016, over 80 million smart home devices were delivered worldwide, some predict that number will grow to over 500 million smart home devices by the end of 2019. And that which is in your home today is also included in that number, and that which you intern buying soon.
related post: How To Save Electrical Energy Using Smart System
Are smart home devices energy efficient?
Some smart home devices are not always energy efficient, but they can be used in ways that help you conserve energy. When you use smart home devices like, lights, or a smart thermostat, etc. you can control when and how this device will turn on and function.
Therefore, it will enable you to have more control over your energy usage, and this will likely change your energy consumption habits. Above all, it will enable you to reduce your electricity bill tremendously. Though there are some smart home devices that are energy efficient. Yes, there is constant research being done to improve the system. So, you don’t need to panic.
How do smart homes work?
When smart homes first became a choice for people, many did not really welcome the idea. But as bigger players entered the industry, they are making it easier for consumers to understand the benefit of this system and acquire the technologies needed to get started with. And so today in many homes, many are enjoying the benefit of this fast-moving electrical and electronics technology.
How smart home works, to integrate this system that enables you to automatically control your home appliance and electrical device. You need to change your regular home into a smart home by using this few things
1) Router – a device that gives you a Wi-Fi connection
2) Change your analog appliance to smart home appliances (or smart home devices) and
3) A smart control system to connect, monitor, and control these devices. This can even be your smartphone or a laptop
When all these things are connected properly, you turn to have full control of your electric energy consumption at your convenience and can even control your appliance the way you wish still at your convenience.
What is a smart device?
A smart device is an electrical and electronic device that is programmable, internet (Wi-Fi) enable, and can be linked to your smart home system. This device can interact with other devices, and can make some decisions on its own depending on how it was programmed to work. Today’s Televisions set, stoves, alarm systems, doorbells, garage doors, and stereos are examples of smart devices. Smart devices can be purchase separately and over time, making it easy to slowly change your house into a smart home.
The diagram shows some Smart Home Devices and appliances Illustration
What is a smart home system?
When we talk about the smart home system we are referring to the “hub,” so to speak, of your smart home. Just like your electrical system, which enables you to use electricity safely, the hub in the smart home enables you to easily connect all your smart devices and have control of them from a safe end.
This hub can either be a wall-mounted unit or application accessible through the Internet, a smart home system gathers information from each of your smart devices or appliances connected to the system and enables you to control all your devices in one place. Because the smart home market is still improving, there are several choices for smart home systems or home automation hubs, most of which are only agreeable with specific other systems—so ensure to check for compatibility before buying.
How do you make your home a smart home?
The short answer is either “integrating all at once” or “integrating one step at a time.” Still, there are a few things everyone will have to do first to get set for their new-and-improved home system for smart living.
Make sure to upgrade your Wi-Fi. Since it is true that all your smart home devices use the Internet to communicate, you’ll need to make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi that can handle information sharing. If your home is large, you may need to even consider buying a multiple router.
Ensure to go into research. There are so many smart systems and smart home devices available in the market, so, it is best you familiarize yourself with a few different options before settling on one.
Identify what you need. Make sure to check out exactly what you’re looking for from a smart home, and then grasp the areas you want to start addressing immediately. From there, it is very easy to pull from your findings the smart home system, and smart devices and appliances that will meet your needs or settle your problems. Remember, there’s nothing worse than purchasing a fancy new gadget only to have it gathering dust in one corner of your house a few weeks later because it’s not really something you need–especially an expensive one!
What are some smart home ideas to start with?
If you’re looking around your house right now and wondering what regular devices you have that can be changed into a smart device, it’s better to ask yourself “What can’t be turned into a smart device that I have right now?” If it can be power by plugging it into an outlet, chances are there are companies out there making a smart version of many of the devices that were not smart. To get you started, here’s a shortlist of smart home ideas that we here at electelectglobe really love:
- Keep your home safe with the use of smart locks. Replace your present front-door lock with a smart lock to enable you to lock and unlock your door remotely, with this smart lock you can check to make sure you had locked the door after you’ve already left the house, and keep a record of who has come and gone. And all of this can be monitored at your convenience
- With smart security alerts you can monitor your home from anywhere. Many smart home devices today can alert you to safety or security issues remotely. Get alerts from your smartphone wherever you are, for forgetting to lock the garage door, for smoke, for when someone pushes your doorbell, or if you left something plugged in an outlet that really should have been turned off before you left the house.
- With a smart thermostat you can manage your home temperature, and save energy. A smart thermostat can be programmed to work on your habits and automatically adjust the temperature based on your unique schedule. It also enables you manually and remotely adjust temperatures through an app.
- Smart assistant can enable you to delegate tasks in your home. A virtual assistant like Google Home or Amazon Echo, with these you can use voice commands to do things such as turn on music, search the Web and control your household smart appliance and device
- You can organize your chores with smart appliances. Smart dishwashers, TVs, refrigerators, and washing machines and dryers all allow remote access and control, and can keep you updated with information that is relevant to each appliance. For example, your smart washing machine can detect when energy consumption is the lowest in your area and switch on during that time, or your smart refrigerator can scan your groceries inside them, alerting you when the eggs are about to expire or how much milk is remaining. It can also sense when there is no more ice in the freezer to preserve your perishable items and turn on
- Smart LED light bulbs can enable you to control your home lighting. Smart lights allow you to control the lighting in every room of your house from your mobile device while you are away from the house. Did your child forget to switch off the lights in the kitchen? You can do it on your way to school right from your smartphone. Or program your lights to turn on and off at a particular time, and never worry again if someone forgot to switch off the lights before you leave for the day.
The new advancement in technology of a smart home system is an exciting one, and the possibilities and combinations of thing in this system is becoming endless. So ensure upgrade your home to modern living.